Most mattresses last about seven to ten years, meaning the average person will need to replace their mattress multiple times throughout their lives. Mattresses play a key role when it comes to sleep, but higher price-points can cause many sleepers to delay their purchase. With so many mattress options available, knowing when and where to shop for a good deal can lead to significant savings and ensure that you stay comfortable while you sleep.
We’ll cover when mattress companies typically have sales, as well as the pros and cons of online versus in-store shopping. We’ll also highlight how to find mattress sales and take a look at other services to consider when shopping for your next mattress.
When Do Mattresses Go on Sale?
For many people, buying a mattress is a significant investment. However, mattress retailers run frequent sales corresponding to holidays, special events, and fluctuations in inventory that can help reduce the overall cost.
Brick-and-mortar retailers tend to follow a more traditional sale schedule, offering discounts on long weekends, Black Friday, and other holidays. Online brands often expand their sale schedule, which leads to more frequent sales and steeper discounts.
What’s the Best Time of Year to Buy a Mattress?
The best time to buy a mattress is when your current mattress no longer offers enough support for quality sleep. This could be when your current mattress has exceeded its lifespan or when you wake up with aches and pains.
That being said, it’s also a good idea to anticipate your mattress needs and plan to purchase a new bed during an annual sales event. These sales happen frequently enough throughout the year that it may be worth your while to wait for a sale in order to get the best deal possible on a new mattress.
Common Holiday Mattress Sales
|Holiday / Sales Event||Date||Info|
|New Year’s Day||January 1||Both in-store and online mattress retailers feature sales events on the first day of the year. Some mattress retailers may extend this sale by several days.|
|Presidents Day||Third Monday in February||Presidents Day is a common time for mattress stores to run promotions. Both brick-and-mortar and online retailers generally feature discounted prices over the three-day weekend.|
|Memorial Day||Last Monday in May||Memorial Day weekend is a popular time for mattress sales. Shoppers can find deals online and in person over the three-day holiday weekend.|
|Fourth of July||July 4||Many retailers offer Independence Day sales. Some companies may extend the sale several days before or after the actual holiday.|
|Amazon Prime Day||Mid-July||Amazon Prime members can take advantage of steep discounts on this day. Many retailers also run parallel sales to stay competitive around this time.|
|Labor Day||First Monday in September||Labor Day weekend offers shoppers a chance to find a good deal on a bed at the end of summer. It can also be a good time for college students to shop for mattresses in anticipation of the new school year.|
|Veterans Day||November 11||Veterans Day offers shoppers an opportunity to furnish spare bedrooms before hosting holiday guests.|
|Black Friday||Friday after Thanksgiving||Black Friday marks the beginning of the holiday shopping season. In-store and online retailers offer some of their largest discounts on this day. Some retailers also extend their sales throughout the holiday weekend.|
|Cyber Monday||Monday after Black Friday||Many online retailers significantly reduce prices on Cyber Monday. While the day was originally created for online shopping, brick-and-mortar stores usually offer discounts to match their online counterparts.|
Where to Get the Best Mattress Deals
With the advent of online retailers, there are many options for buying a mattress. Shoppers can take advantage of this by seeking out the best sales and promotions in both online and brick-and-mortar stores.
Retail and online shopping both have pros and cons that are worth considering so you can determine the best option for your needs.
Online Mattress Shopping
Shopping online provides you with a large selection of mattresses. However, it can also be overwhelming to have so many choices. Online shopping works best for those who know what they’re looking for or those willing to do some research.
Online shopping is also a great option for shoppers who prioritize price and convenience. The direct-to-consumer model helps reduce mattress price-points, and shoppers can look for a mattress at any time.
Additionally, many online retailers offer generous sleep trials with free shipping and returns, which may remove some of the apprehension associated with buying a mattress without testing it beforehand.
Benefits of Online Mattress Shopping
- Lower prices: Generally, online stores are able to offer lower prices than physical stores. Without extra costs like rent and sales commissions, online retailers can pass the savings to the consumer.
- Bigger selection: The extensive selection of mattress models available online can be a major benefit to shoppers with specific preferences. Access to hundreds of mattress websites makes it easier for shoppers to find the right model for their needs.
- Convenience: Online shopping makes a wide range of mattress options readily available. This is helpful for those who live in rural areas, as well as those who want to avoid traffic and crowds, especially around the holidays.
- No sales pressure: Online mattress stores give shoppers time to shop at their own pace without feeling pressured by in-store salespeople.
- Access to online reviews: Shopping online provides you with easy access to customer reviews. These evaluations can give you a better idea of how a mattress performs for a range of sleeper types.
- Sleep trials: A major drawback of online shopping is not being able to try the mattress in person before making a purchase. However, most retailers counteract this by offering lengthy sleep trials. Sleep trials offer shoppers a period of time, sometimes as long as a year, to decide if the mattress is a good fit.
- Free shipping and flexible return policies: Online mattress retailers often offer free shipping. Free returns are also common and usually correspond with a lengthy sleep trial.
In-Store Mattress Shopping
Even with the increase of online mattress retailers, in-store mattress shopping remains common. One of the driving factors behind brick-and-mortar’s continued success is the opportunity for shoppers to test out a mattress before buying. Given how subjective the comfort and feel of a mattress is, this can be a big advantage.
Shopping at a mattress store can help narrow the number of options to a more reasonable selection all in one place. This means visiting a physical store might be a good idea for those who need a new mattress but don’t know where to start. Salespeople can also direct shoppers to the best models for their needs.
Additionally, the price tag on in-store mattresses is almost always negotiable. And the extra cost of purchasing a mattress in person may be worthwhile if it includes White Glove delivery and old mattress removal.
Benefits of In-Store Mattress Shopping
- Feel the mattress yourself: The primary advantage of in-store shopping is being able to see how a mattress looks and feels in person. This can be a major benefit, particularly if you’re unsure which type of mattress is best for you.
- Multiple mattress in one place: Mattress showrooms display multiple brands and models. This allows shoppers to try out several options in one visit, allowing for more accurate comparisons.
- In-person product advice: Mattress salespeople are well versed in the unique pros and cons of each model carried in the store. They can provide guidance, helping direct you to the mattress that best suits your sleep position, body type, and other preferences.
- Negotiable prices: Most in-store mattress prices are negotiable. Shoppers willing to bargain may be able to cut costs significantly on an in-store purchase.
- Selection is less overwhelming: The abundance of mattress options available online can be overwhelming. Mattress stores still offer a wide range of options, but many people find it easier to make a decision between fewer mattress choices.
- White Glove delivery: Physical mattress stores are more likely to offer White Glove delivery, meaning they’ll deliver and set up your new mattress. Some retailers also include old mattress removal with each purchase, while others provide this service for an additional fee.
- Clearance pricing: When brick-and-mortar stores need to make room for new inventory, they ay offer clearance sales. Shoppers can find clearance pricing in-store or at special outlet or warehouse events. However, keep in mind these mattresses are typically sold in “as is” condition, and selection is likely to be very limited.
How to Find Mattress Sales Near You
Finding a mattress sale near you can be as easy as doing an internet search. Mattress review websites can also be helpful resources. These websites may occasionally offer exclusive discounts on certain mattress brands.
For those looking for a brick-and-mortar sales event, consider joining a store’s email list for news of special sales and promotions.
Mattress Review Websites
Mattress review websites are often a helpful resource, offering research and reviews that can help you determine the best mattress for your needs. They cover active sales for brands and may also offer reader-exclusive discounts for further savings.
Store and brand newsletters can be easy ways to learn about upcoming sales events. Subscribing often comes with a one-time discount code shoppers can use on a future purchase, and emails can include coupons for further discounts or product bundles.
A broad internet search using terms like “mattress sale” can yield pages of results. For shoppers looking to shop in person, adding words like “near me” or the name of your city or ZIP code provides more tailored results.
Which Mattress Should You Buy?
Although price is an important consideration when choosing a mattress, there are also other factors to weigh before making a final decision. It’s important to take into account your sleep position and body type when selecting a firmness level and mattress type. The mattress you choose should have the right combination of comfort and support to promote spinal alignment and relieve pressure points.
Other preferences that are important to consider include whether you sleep hot, what contouring level you prefer, and whether you are easily disturbed by your partner’s movements during sleep.
Tips for Making a Great Mattress Purchase
There are several ways to ensure you purchase the best mattress for your needs.
- Research mattresses in advance: Exploring different mattress types and considering what might work best for your body type and sleep position preference can make it easier to narrow your search.
- Buy direct from the brand: Making purchases directly from the brand can offer a variety of perks, including sleep trials, warranties, and flexible shipping and return policies. Shoppers also have access to customer service associates who are familiar with the brand’s products and policies.
- Take advantage of sales and coupons: Mattress sales typically occur during the same times each year, making it easier to plan ahead for savings. Sign up for emails, texts, and other communications to gain access to coupons and discount codes.
- Ask for available discounts: Ask the company about special discounts. A customer service representative may be able to point you toward savings opportunities beyond sales. For example, many companies offer additional discounts to members of the military, first responders, teachers, and other service providers.
- Use sleep trials to your benefit: It can take several weeks for your body to fully adjust to sleeping on a new mattress. Many mattress brands offer sleep trials that allow shoppers to try a mattress at home for up to a year and still qualify for a free return.
- Take your time: Buying a mattress has implications for both your sleep health and your wallet. It’s important to take your time researching, testing, and asking questions. If the models and prices at a particular store or brand aren’t in line with your needs or budget, remember that there are plenty of mattress options on the market.
Additional Services and Discounts to Consider
Beyond typical discounts in the form of sales, coupons, and codes, many mattress brands offer additional services with each mattress purchase. These include free shipping, old mattress removal, and bedding bundles. Some brands may also offer financing to meet a wider range of budgets.
Shipping costs for an item as large and heavy as a mattress can be quite expensive. Options like free shipping and White Glove delivery can help cut the overall cost. These services not only represent a significant savings, but they can help streamline the setup process, too.
Old Mattress Removal
In some cases, brands may include removal of the old mattress with the purchase of a new one. This saves customers the time, money, and effort it can take to find an appropriate place to donate or dispose of a used mattress.
Bedding and Accessory Bundles
Beyond discounts and sales, some retailers offer bedding and accessory bundles with the purchase of a new mattress. Bundles can include bedding like sheet sets or mattress protectors and are designed to compliment your mattress’ specific dimensions.
Paying for a new mattress up front can be daunting. Many brands, especially those featuring high-end models, provide a financing option for prospective shoppers. Some promotions may waive associated fees or include an annual percentage rate (APR) of 0%. This can be an attractive option for shoppers looking to pay for their purchase in smaller monthly installments.